Almost 120 years ago - This was Ely’s Sheridan Street

Utilizing the Ely Echo’s over 600 page “Blue Book” - Ely, Since 1888 and the 1900 Sanborn Map of Ely and the area, the detail on the Vail Hotell (far left) and the many saloons of Ely are noted in this week’s Ely Echo. Patrick Vail was Ely's first fire chief in 1889 when the volunteer department was formed. He was the owner of the hotel which burned on March 17, 1905. Vail was elected Mayor of Ely twice.