All-Class Reunion takes shape
Ely grads invited back for weeklong celebration: June 29-July 6, 2024
by Tom Coombe
Ely’s first All-Class Reunion in two decades is beginning to come together.
A grand celebration marking the 100th anniversary of Ely Memorial High School is in the works and planned for June 29-July 6, 2024.
Numerous all-class events are planned including a day at the school, a talent/variety show, two “Rock the Park” concerts, a day of remembrance, a sports hall of fame ceremony and other sports-related activities.
The reunion also intertwines with Ely’s July 4 celebration, and individual class reunions are in the works during both of the all-class weekends.
Ely’s last all-class reunion was in 2004, and others were held in 1995 and 1976.
Planning for next year’s event is already months in the making, and the reunion committee is working on several fronts to bring it to fruition.
“We’re going to have a great time,” said Ann Johnson, who chairs the reunion committee and is a 1989 Ely graduate. “The previous all-class reunions were fun and memorable and brought so many people together, and we want to do that again next year.”
The idea for a 2024 reunion spawned from the fledgling Ely Events Committee, which put together Rock the Park events in 2022 and again this summer.
“We started meeting at the beginning of the year and brainstormed,” said Johnson, who is leading the effort with fellow co-chairs Pam Turnbull and Diana Mavetz Petrich. “Right now we’re focusing on compiling all the class lists and addresses, and we’re tentatively putting together a schedule for the event.”
Individual classes or groups of classes are responsible for planning their own reunions, while the all-class committee has honed in on organizing a series of events.
While still tentative, the initial schedule includes:
• Saturday, June 29 - Rock the Park Concert, Whiteside Park;
• Sunday June 30 - Remembrance Ceremony, Ely Cemetery; Knights of Columbus - Bingo at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church
• Monday, July 2 - All Class Mixer at Miners Dry;
• Tuesday, July 2 - Golf Tournament at Ely Golf Course; Ely Sports Hall of Fame Recognition Event, Miners Dry;
• Wednesday July 3 - Day at School to include tours of the school complex and a school lunch, with the Variety/Talent Show to take place during the evening at Washington Auditorium;
• Thursday, July 4 - Ely July 4 Celebration;
• Friday, July 5 - Sports Day with tentative plans including a potential Alumni Baseball Game at Veterans Memorial Field, and perhaps other athletic-related events at the football stadium, with food sold by the Ely Baseball Association
• Saturday, July 6 - Knights of Columbus - Pancake Breakfast; Rock the Park Concert, Whiteside Park.
Other ideas are also being floated including a lunch for current and former faculty members and a bonfire.
The committee meets the third Thursday of each month at Grand Ely Lodge, beginning at 6:30 p.m., and the group is still looking for additional members and help in planning the various activities.
“Bring your ideas,” said Johnson.
The group is also putting the call out for more help in compiling class lists, with names and addresses being collected at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A website has been set up at www.elyallclassreunion.com, and it will serve as a source for information in the months leading up to the reunion.
Online registration will be opened in November, and Ely graduates may register for the reunion for a fee of $25.