Goalie shines, secures Ely win

Huseby notches 84 saves in two games; Wolves home Saturday

by Tom Coombe -

Goaltender Lori Huseby turned in stellar back-to-back performances as the Ely Timberwolves picked up their first win on the ice this winter.
Huseby had 35 stops in Ely’s 4-2 high school hockey victory over Wadena-Deer Creek, and the Northeast Range senior had a whopping 49 stops Tuesday night at Silver Bay, keeping the Wolves in the game in a 4-2 loss to North Shore.
Ely, which hosts Lake of the Woods at 2 p.m. Saturday, is now 1-2 for the season.
The win came last Saturday, as Huseby turned away all but two shots and the Wolves overcame a difficult third-period.
Ely escaped a five-minute major penalty unscathed, but the Wolverines’ Max Phillips and Jake Dykhoff got goals two minutes apart to trim what was a comfortable Wolves lead to 3-2.
The visitors applied more pressure in the closing minutes and had 14 of their 37 shots in the final frame, but Huseby wouldn’t allow the equalizer.
Freshman Luke Olson finished WDC off with an empty-net goal, the first of his varsity career, with six seconds left.
After a scoreless first frame, the Wolves scored twice in the second.
Jon Wenzel got his second goal of the season at the seven-minute mark, and Louie Meskill got his first goal a couple minutes later with a slap shot from the slot. Linemate and fellow senior Kyle Lakner assisted.
The Wolves made it 3-0 in the third when junior Thomas Montana scored with assists from Nick Mattila and Joey Pierce.
Pierce, an eighth-grader, also assisted on Olson’s late goal.
North Shore 4, Wolves 2
Despite being outshot 20-4 in the opening period, Ely had a 2-1 lead after the first 17 minutes.
Gage Merhar scored with an assist from Olson to get the visitors on the board, and Wenzel added a shorthanded tally to put the Storm on their heels.
The tide changed in the second.
Tanner Ketola tied the game less than 30 seconds into the period, and a 10-minute major penalty helped lead to two power play goals.
Ketola scored the game winner with 5:38 left in the frame and Ethan Sporn added an insurance tally, with Ketola and Giovanni Marolt assisting, 38 seconds later.
Neither team scored in the final frame.
Ketola had the hat trick and added an assist for North Shore, and wining goalie Cameron Roy finished with 21 saves.