NRE scores home pool victory
by Tom Coombe
A big early lead held up and Northeast Range scored a home victory Tuesday in Babbitt.
The Nighthawks won four of the first five events and had one-two finishes in three, piling up early points to secure a 47-44 decision over Chisholm in high school girls swimming action.
By the time the meet reached its final two events, the Nighthawks had the win secured and only swam “exhibition” as Chisholm scooped up the remaining points to make the final score closer.
Overall, it was a big day for the Nighthawks, who celebrated Senior Night in their final home meet of 2023.
“The girls are really swimming well,” said head coach Cheri DeBeltz. “I’m excited to see what the next couple of weeks brings.”
The Nighthawks are entering the final two weeks of the regular season in advance of section competition, which is slated to begin Nov. 9.
Thursday’s Pumpkin Quad at Aurora, completed after deadline, served as the final regular season event at the varsity level.
The dual with Chisholm provided some momentum as the Nighthawks returned from the MEA break with a vengeance.
After the Bluestreaks won the opening event - the 200 medley relay - NRE took command as Via DeBeltz and Grace Flynn went one-two in the 200 freestyle.
The 200 individual medley followed and Tuuli Koivisto picked up the first of her two individual wins for the day, with teammate Moon Vetos-Keen in second.
Next up was the 50 freestyle as Anna Larson won in 27.70 seconds and teammate Alyssa Ice took second. Larson followed with a victory in the 100 butterfly (1:09.985), and not long after teamed with Kovisto, DeBeltz and Emilia Swenson to win the 200 freestyle relay in 2:01.04.
Swenson also took second in the 100 freestyle, while Sabrah Hart picked up a second-place swim in the 100 backstroke.
NRE won the junior varsity meet 23-13, with Maddie Johnson winning the 100 breaststroke, Brynn Larson taking first in the 100 freestyle and Isla Carlson placing first in the 50 freestyle.
• International Falls downed the Nighthawks 58-36 in Oct. 18 dual meet action prior to the MEA break.
DeBeltz (200 freestyle), Anna Larson (100 butterfly), Swenson (100 freestyle) and Koivisto (500 freestyle) were individual winners for NRE.
Point-getters for the Nighthawks were as follows:
• 200 medley relay - 3. Hart, Jorden Borchert, Alli Krekelberg, Flynn, 2:32.02;
• 200 freestyle - 1. DeBeltz, 2:20.16;
•200 individual medley - 2. Koivisto, 2:45.81; 3. Krekelberg, 2:50.74;
• 50 freestyle - 2. Anna Larson, 27.92; 3. Swenson, 29.67;
• 100 butterfly - 1. Anna Larson, 1:10.82;
• 100 freestyle - 1. Swenson, 1:14.56;
• 500 freestyle - 1. Koivisto, 6:29.16;
• 200 freestyle relay - 2. Anna Larson, DeBeltz, Borchert, Koivisto, 2:01.15;
• 100 backstroke - 3. Hart, 1:29.28;
• 100 breaststroke - 3. DeBeltz, 1:27.27;
• 400 freestyle relay - 1. Anna Larson, Koivisto, DeBeltz, Krekelberg, 4:23.88