Program record for Tedrick
by Tom Coombe
A program record fell Saturday and Lily Tedrick made another dent in the record book.
The Ely senior completed the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:15.03, setting a new mark in Northeast Range/Ely high school girls swimming history.
Perhaps more impressively, Tedrick’s record swim was good enough for first place at the Soderlind Invitational in Duluth.
Tedrick’s first-place and record-setting performance was part of a solid day for the Nighthawks, who had several medalists at an event that brought together nine teams. NRE placed sixth as a team.
“We swam really well,” said head coach Cheri DeBeltz. “Anyone placing sixth place or higher earned a medal.”
That included Tedrick in the breaststroke, and she also came home with a second-place medal in the 200 individual medley (2:30.5).
The NRE relay of Tedrick, Maggie Dammann, Anna Larson and Morgan McCelland also took second in 2:08.51.
The Nighthawks also had a third-place relay with Tedrick, Larson, Esther Anderson and McClelland combining for a time of 1:52.66.
The only other individual medalist was McClelland, who sprinted to a finish of 1:03.49, and sixth overall, in the 100 freestyle.
Other top-10 finishes were as follows:
• 200 freestyle - 7. McClelland, 2:20.24;
• 100 butterfly - 7. Larson, 1:15.27;
• 100 backstroke - 10. Dammann, 1:17.64.
North Shore 51, NRE 43
Tuesday’s home meet at Babbitt went down to the wire, with North Shore overcoming a 39-37 deficit in the final two events to pull out the narrow victory.
The Nighthawks were going for a third consecutive dual win, and prospects looked good after two early wins by McCelland.
A one-two finish by Kelly Thompson and Dammann in the 100 backstroke put NRE up by two, but North Shore countered with a one-two finish by sisters Ava and Aria Oswald-Swenson in the 100 breaststroke.
The visitors then clinched the win by scoring a win in the 400 freestyle relay.
NRE point-getters were:
• 200 medley relay - 1. Thompson, Via DeBeltz, Larson, McClelland, 2:17.80; 3. Dammann, Alli Krekelberg, Cedar Ohlhauser, Alyssa Ice, 2:28.96;
• 200 freestyle - 1. McClelland, 2:21.13; 3. Anderson, 2:29.76;
• 200 individual medley - 2. Tuuli Koivisto, 2:58.63;
• 50 freestyle - 3. Thompson, 29.37;
• 100 butterfly - 1. Larson, 1:17.02; 2. Krekelberg, 1:25.42;
• 100 freestyle - 3. Anderson, 1:07.97;
• 500 freestyle - 3. McClelland, 6:34.92;
• 200 freestyle relay - 2. Larson, Anderson, Thompson, McClelland, 1:56.94; 3. Ohlhauser, Emilia Swenson, DeBeltz, Ice, 2:12.97;
• 100 backstroke - 1. Thompson, 1:16.71; 2. Dammann, 1:19.66;
• 100 breaststroke - 3. DeBeltz, 1:31.24;
• 400 freestyle relay - 2. Larson, Ohlhauser, Koivisto, Anderson, 4:26.05.
In the junior varsity race, NRE rolled to a 61-9 win.
Carena DeBeltz (100 freestyle) and Ice (50 freestyle) had victories in contested races.