Skip to main content









to be tried in the

City of Virginia


Contented Critters, a Minnesota Nonprofit corporation f/k/a Spay Neuter Aid Program, Inc, a Minnesota Nonprofit corporation



The Unknown Heirs of Walter F. Peters, Virginia Caudle, the Unknown Heirs of Virginia Caudle, all other persons claiming an interest in the property described below



This Summons is directed to the above-named Defendents:

1. You are being sued. The Plaintiff has started a lawsuit against you. The Complaint is attached to this Summons. Do not throw these papers away. They are official papers that start a lawsuit and affect your legal rights, even if nothing has been filed with the court and even if there is no court file number on this Summons.

2. You must BOTH reply, in writing, AND get a copy of your rights to the person/business who is suing you within 21 days to protect your rights. Your reply is call an Answer. Getting your reply to the Plaintiff is called service. You must serve a copy of your Answer or Answer and Counterclaim (Answer) within 21 days from the date your received the Summons and Complaint.

ANSWER: You can find the Answer form and instructions on the MN Judicial Branch website at  under the “Civil” category. The instructions will explain in detail how to fill out the Answer form.

3. You must respond to each clain. The Answer is your written response to the Plaintiff’s Complaint. In your Answer you must state whether you agree or disagree with each paragraph of the Complaint. If you think the plaintiff should not be given everything they asked for in the Complaint, you must say that in your answer.

4. SERVICE: You may lose your case if you do not send a written response to the Plaintiff. If you do not serve a written Answer within 21 days, you may lose this case by default. You will not get to tell your side of the story. If you choose not to respond, the Plaintiff may be awarded everything they asked for in their Complaint. If you agree with the claims stated in the Complaint, you don’t need to respond. A default judgment can than be entered against you for what the plaintiff asked for in the Complaint.

To protect your rights you must serve a copy of your Answer on the person who signed this Summons in person or by mail at this address:

5. Carefully read the Instructions (CIV301) for the Answer for your next steps.

6. Legal Assistance. You may wish to get legal help from an attorney. If you do not have an attorney and would like legal help:

Visit and click on the “Legal Advice Clinics” tab to get more information about legal clinics in each Minnesota county.

Court Administration may have information about places where you can get legal assistance.

NOTE: Even if you cannot get legal help, you must still serve a written Answer to protect your rights or you may lose the case.

7. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). The parties may agree to or be ordered to participate in an ADR process under Rule 114 of the Minnesota Rules of Practice. You must still serve your written Answer, even if you expect to use ADR.


Dated: 3-22-23

Rae R. Bentz

Defenbaugh Law Office

107 E. Camp St.

Ely, MN 55731


Sign up for News Alerts

Subscribe to news updates